There is a close relation between self-esteem and depression. People with depression do not feel good about themselves. People with low self-esteem do not feel good about themselves either. Low self-esteem is usually a constant companion for those who experience depression.
Depression is not a local “disease” which only affects part of your body or your mind. Depression is a physical, mental and spiritual imbalance. You have to treat your body, your brain and your soul as a “whole” to feel better. Self-esteem and depression are in inverse proportion to each other; the higher the level of your self-esteem the less depression you feel if you feel it at all.
People - when they start to feel the first symptoms of depression - tend to go to the doctor, get some pills and they think they are done. Yes, they are. But only for a short time.
If you don’t find the reasons behind your fluctuating mood you will not feel better on a long run and you will need more and more medicine to function in your life. You don’t want that.
Most of the medicines that are described by doctors have more side effects than how much good they might do for you. And if you have a side effect you will have to have other pills to treat you. And than one day you will realize the only things you eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner are pills and tablets. How delicious is that?
There are 2 ways to treat depression;
1. Find alternative healing methods, self-esteem and self confidence building strategies to change your life.
2. Go to your physician and/or psychologist and take their professional advice.
But, please remember one thing. Even if you start taking pills which can give you temporary solution, DO NOT GIVE UP searching for alternative, healing methods.
“… Never give up
No matter what is happening
No matter what is going on around you
Never give up”
(The Dalai Lama)
You can find tons of information about self-esteem and depression, raising your self-esteem, building your confidence and overcoming the obstacles in your life throughout my website. There are hundreds of other sites available too. Do your research.
You can go to Libraries, talk to your partner, family and your friends about your situation. Talk to someone who you TRUST.
Sometimes very small things can have a significant effect on your life. Reading a good book, watching a movie, a flower, changing your diet, a friendly voice or a supportive, respectful partner or work environment can make miracles.
Self-esteem and depression alternative healing methods;
• NATURE. Be outside as much as possible. Nature can heal almost anything. Just a short walk and fresh air can clean your mind.
• NUTRITION. Try to eat more food which contains high amount of B-vitamins (fish and seafood, whole grains such as wheat and oats, leafy green vegetables, dairy products, bananas, lentils, potatoes etc.). They enhance your immune system and nervous system. Eliminate processed sugar (chocolate, candy, soda, ice cream etc.) as much as possible from your diet. Drink more water and eat more fresh, raw vegetables and fruits.
• Certain HERBS and HERBAL TEAS have a calming effect on your nervous system such as lavender, chamomile, mint and lemon tea.
• MASSAGE. Personal touch has a very special soothing effect on your body and soul.
• ACUPUNCTURE or any other traditional eastern medicine.
• YOGA. Breathe in the positive, vital energy and breathe out, release the tension.
• EXERCISE. The better your circulation is the more resistant you are against the “attacks” of life.
• MEDITATION. Support your healing with meditation techniques.
• SLEEPING. Every night before you go to bed write down what you have to do and what challenges you will face the next day. In this case you don’t worry about it and sleep well. Your subconscious starts working on it and might come up with the solution first thing in the morning. If it does not you still do not have to worry about it, because your to-do list sitting right in front of you in your desk.
• FASTING is a very powerful tool to clean your body and be more energetic. Before you would start a liquid diet(fasting) program, please consult your physician.
These are just a very few among the methods you can use for your well-being. Please, please, please find your way to handle your situation. (I don’t use the word “problem”. It is just too negative expression of your challenge or situation.)
There are other factors you can consider regarding the relation between self-esteem and depression, but do not forget that you are the one who can change your life if you decide to do that.
The relationship between low self-esteem and depression is well-known. Build your self-esteem to overcome depression!
For more serious cases please seek professional advice and consult your physician.